Thursday, August 26, 2010

In for a Rude Awakening

The girl is pregnant
With her first baby,
And has it all planned out
How it is going to be.
Handling the baby
Will be no problem,
She insists.
Her husband and her
Are very efficient!
Besides she states,
“All the baby does
The first year is sleep!”
I chuckled thinking to myself,
How little of the time
Will actually be spent sleeping,
Either for baby or parents.
She has no idea
What it will be like
Being transformed into a zombie
For the first year.
A new baby tends to be devoid of
Respect for parental efficiency,
And generally lays waste
To even the best made plans.
Then she tells me how
Her husband is working full time
And going to night school
To get his master's degree,
And I think to myself,
A lot of help he is going to be!
I wonder how much studying
He will get done
When he finally gets home each night
After work and school.
She is also working full time
And plans on returning to work
Almost immediately after
The baby is born,
Financial pressures being what they are.
She has no idea how much
Her perspective is bound to change,
All because of that baby.
She doesn't have any relatives
Conveniently close either,
So who is going to look after
The baby while she is at work?
Rather than rain on her parade,
Or be a proverbial profit of doom,
I walk off shaking my head,
Wondering if I was ever that naive.
Isn't first time motherhood awesome!
I have a sneaking suspicion
She and her husband
Are in for a major attitude adjustment.
They are about to undertake one of
Most difficult jobs in the world.
Sure, it is worth it,
If you survive the initiation.

No comments: